Wednesday, October 28, 2015

It's the most wonderful time of the year!  

I know, I know, I know...you are used to hearing that at Christmas! It is however my opinion that the most wonderful time is HALLOWEEN!!!

I don't know about you, but my classroom is currently covered in nothing but pumpkins!  This week we (my grade partner and I) decided to ditch our Properties and Characteristics Science unit and explore the world of October's most beloved squash...the pumpkin!

We used the adorable Great Pumpkin Investigation Book by Cara Carroll at First Grade Parade!   You can find it here https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/The-Great-Pumpkin-Investigation-Student-Journal-163736

This book incorporates Math and Science Investigation of a pumpkin.  My favorite part of this book is that each page asks the students to predict and then check their answer.  One of the hardest things for the littles to understand is that it is ok to get the wrong answer in Science, because that is how we learn!    


Predicting and counting how many lines are on their pumpkin.  





















Predicting how tall their pumpkin is, and then checking their guess with Unifix Cubes.




Predicting how big around the pumpkin is, and then checking their guess with string.


Lastly we cut the pumpkin in half and the kids has to estimate how many seeds were inside.  Most of the guessed between 10-20 until we showed them what 10 actually looked like.  We ended up counting and tallying 241 seeds in that tiny pumpkin!

It was a messy day for me, since I was the one covered in pumpkin goo, but the kids loved it!  I hope everyone has a safe and very happy Halloween!



No comments:

Post a Comment